Thursday, March 04, 2010

Helpful Hints for arm/shoulder Slings

Experience: 1 crushed bone @ elbow (soft cast, sling), 1 clean break arm right below shoulder (hard cast 4 days then sling with waist band), shoulder surgery (sling with waist band) AND all on left side
all the result of 2 motor scooter accidents within a 5 month period
this is a 150cc street legal requires a motorcycle license (top speed 60 and don't ask if I've been on the freeway becuase the answer is yes and motorscooter could go over the minimum required speed limit! yes it was a scary 5 minutes on a freeway but the traffice was very very light that morning).

Fabreze works wonders on stinky slings. Don't use it on soft/hard casts though. I just had to suffer through that.

Back scratchers have multiple functions in addition to scratching your back: assist with grabbing seat belt; grabbing/moving light things around; assisting with putting on clothes regardless of whether it is a pull on or button up top;

Stick: round 3 ft' long stick to keep in the car to punch buttons such as letting you in some parking garages or to order food at some drive throughs. Keep it where it will not become a projectile in the event of a wreck! Mine fits between the passenger seat and the console unit and I kept it pushed down where it wouldn't come loose. By the way, small pillows under the arm and next to the door help stabilze the arm while driving since you can't use the arm to reach the steering wheel.

Cars: please don't drive while on pain killers. I had to a few times after I couldn't afford a taxi (those are scarce where I live) but I made sure it was during the day when traffic was very light. Only went to the dr and therapy for months. yuck.

Clothes are the hardest thing especially when living alone. Once I started the wall walks exercises and the Dr approved showers, I did them in the shower to soap under arm (remember, most of the time it was glued to my side and it hurt to move it and I wasn't supposed to move it either). To put on clothes: Slip the arm opening over the arm while doing wall walks then you slide it up, insert your head and good arm without moving your bad arm (short sleeve only). And yes, sometimes it is better not to change into nightclothes but just wear the shirt you've been wearning all day. Weird but cuts on moving the arm accidentily. I stuck to large loose very short sleeve shirts that I use when gardening. Cold in the winter but it works and kept my arm from moving while at the same time, helped me to feel human (but I am really really tired of these shirts). These shirts were good at physical therapy too.

Baby wipes are a heaven send while waiting for Dr to approve showers. Sometimes that takes weeks. By the time of the broken bone in the 2nd accident, I had an extra sling so could wear the old one to shower (don't get the one you wear all the time in the shower unless you can wrap it in plastic) and didn't have to worry about ruining the current sling. AND don't take a shower until the doctor/surgeon says you can - Baby wipes really do work just fine!

Shower: the drug store has plastic wraps to cover casts and they work pretty well in spite of their size and looks. Don't use oil in the shower as you may slip easier than normal. Put a little shower oil on a facecloth and wipe it over your body where you are able (My right side is much dryer than the left because I can't use my left arm yet). And no, I still haven't found a way to shave my legs yet.

Bras: keep them snapped/hooked and just pull them up and down with the good arm to get them off and on. After shoulder surgery, I had keep the left strap off so it stayed under the armpit. Works well but be aware that during physical therapy, it may slip (however, the therapists are used to it so don't be embarrassed - its only annoying to you anyway). Sidenote: keeping them snapped in the washer kept other lingerie from getting snagged.

There wasn't anything I could with my hair - fortunately it has some curl so could put in some curl product after I combed it out while leaning over. Once it got long enough, it could wear it up by grabbing it and twisting with the right hand, lean head against the wall to hold the twisted part and then use right hand to put in the hair clip. it works. My hairdresser (wonder person) told me of 1 customer with shoulder surgery that came in every 3rd day to get her hair washed while she was waiting on shower approval from dr - wished I could've afforded that but the drive would have done me in.

If you know you're going to have surgery, practice BEFORE surgery if you can.

DISCLAIMER: This is for reference ONLY and ONLY pertains to my specific experiences. Check with your doctor and/or surgeon first before attempting anything mentioned in this post. I am not liable for anything you do because of something you read and tried that was mentioned in this post. These are based on my experiences and I hope no one else has this much injury on any limb in such a short period of time (or at any time really).

No comments:

Post a Comment