Thursday, September 09, 2010

Leftovers from Hurrican Hermine on 9/8/2010

The only time I saw the sun or some simblance of daylight was in the evening when the clouds parted enough to let the sun through for a few minutes.  The rest of the day was varying degrees of dark.  The rain was gentle, then would disappear then come pounding down with a fury!  I got up a few times to check the the roof over the hot water heater but it didn't leak at all - very glad I got that fixed earlier in the year.

When the rain let up for a bit around 11am yesterday, I went out and turned the rain barrel stand upside down to let it catch water along with the garden  barrow.  LOL when I went out again at noon, they were full.  I wasn't expecting that.  I had to go empty the rain gauge as it was full at 5".  I had an umbrella but had to wade through several inches of water and got soaked anyway.



The plan is to put the water in the rain barrel that isn't hooked up to the gutters.  LOL.  After cleaning out the patio gutters, I am not sure I want it hooked up to the roof gutters.

I also made sure some of the french drains were uncovered - they are more mosquito breeding farms unless it rains very hard. It wasn't until around noon that I could see where the french drain comes out in the front yard - I was getting worried that they were all clogged up.  But around noon, the fountain spray appeared and there's some mulch in the middle of the grass - guess there was more mulch in the drains than I thought.

There was a river in the alley.  Going pretty fast.  Fun to watch.

It stopped long enough for me to go out and get the mail.  But when I got back to the front porch I saw ants all over the brick.  I sprayed and then went to Lowe's for more ant spray.  Used 3 cans.  I hate ants in the house... or on the house.  There were even little ant eggs!  gross.  They need to stay in the ground away from the house.  Then they can do what they want.  I still remember the fire ant horror show.  yuck.

There was an additional 1.25" of rain in the rain gauge by the time the sun set.  That's a total of 6.25"  for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment