Saturday, October 16, 2010

New sport - Handguns - Intro to Shooting class - The Bullet Trap 10/14/10

Wahoo!  Took a beginners class for hand guns tonight.  There were 10 people in the class (7 women, 2 grown men + 1 boy).  We had fun.  The class was partially classroom training to cover safety, law, different types of ammunition etc.  And then the fun part - we got to shoot 16 different guns (a few revolvers mixed in). There were 5 .22RF, 5 .39 Specials, 5 9mm, and 1 .45 ACP.   The Bullet Trap is an indoor range for hand guns and rifles.  It's about 9 minutes from my house.

I didn't particularly care for the revolvers although I did shoot well with a few and they felt comfortable.  The 9mm were harder to load and much harder to slide the barrel and then there were the few that I just couldn't eject the magazine with my left hand - remember that my left arm is messed up and weak from all the motorscooter accidents - well, yes I do remember there were really only 2.... but they sure messed up that arm.

I fell in love with the Wlson Combat CQB 1911.  Of course it was the $2400.00 custom gun.  But they loaded the magazine, slid the barrel and unloaded the barrel for us.   Left dang big holes in the target.  It was heavy too but I'm not sure how much of that is because it was the last gun of the evening and my arms were getting tired.

Here's the Smith and Wesson M41 target.  Not shabby at all 4 in or on the X circle and 1 just outside the X circle.  This gun was nice.

And saving the best for last - the Beretta U22 NEOS.  All 5 in the X circle!!!!!   I have no idea where the good aim came from either.  I didn't hold my breath or take forever - just stepped up, loaded the ammo, aimed and tried to make sure the 3 sites all lined up.

Overall, I shot many in or near the X circle.  The small hand guns (the ones most of us think of as girl guns) were really hard to aim and the kickback made it seem as though you were losing control of the aim.  I didn't like any of the small guns.  I liked the heavier ones because the recoil - although fairly strong - didn't seem to feel like I was loosing control.  But there were a few that were too heavy.

In Texas, the 'castle' law passed in 2007 allows us to carry our guns hidden from site in our cars.  But the instructor stated - and my policeman nephew confirmed - it is a really good idea to tell an officer up front that there is a loaded gun with you in the vehicle and tell them where it is located.  Oh, and that would be in case you are stopped by an officer.  The same holds true if you have the CHL.

No comments:

Post a Comment