Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dad Dilemma

Well, it is time for Dad to get some help.  He lives by himself (his wife died about 7 years ago - it's hard for me to think of her as a stepmom only because my parents were divorced after Dad retired - She was a lovely woman and a great companion for my Dad).

We made another trip to the ER yesterday; he hurts, doesn't feel good and was quite distressed as well as being confused.  They really can't do anything because of his other health issues and pain medication is not an option while he's living on his own.  I really think his body is just slowly shutting down. 


He's a veteran (oh my gosh - the paperwork is a form designed in the dark ages and certainly not Mac-friendly - it may not be MS friendly but I don't have any easy way to try that one out).   He was in the Army WWII and the Air Force - I was actually born at Carswell AFB.  And then because Mom didn't want to go to Germany, he resigned and went on to other work.  But I will say, he must have been born with military in his blood.  Too bad he couldn't stay there.


The ER dr (Dr Elder) and all the nurses are so nice to him.   We met the liasons last night and they are wonderful people.  Pleasant and helpful.


So today we were approved for 7 days in a rehab place.  He was so excited to go and that actually made me feel bad.  He's worried about his cat but I'll go over and make sure JoJo is ok and has plenty of food and water AND a place inside during the day.  He is an indoor outdoor cat that that hates rain and cold.  He's a sweet cat too but at 15, he's going to be hard to find a home.  I wish I could have another one but that won't work - he is a  long-hair - well only when it grows out from being shaved.   Since Dad can't comb/brush him properly, he tends to get mats and sheds too!


But he is safe, happy (well, we'll see how it goes tomorrow),  will be around other people and won't have to cook for a few days.  And that is what is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment