Friday, September 09, 2011

Early Halloween Squealing Practice Session

Ok, we had some excitement this evening.  Enough excitement that I will skip exercising today... oh wait... I don't exercise.  


Sam, my hunter manly cat, caught a mouse/rat outside.  And he wanted desperately to bring it in the house to add to the food bowl (he puts in his rubber bands and other toys too).   I just as desperately was absolutely positively not going to allow that dead creature in my house.  Dead ants and spiders are acceptable in the house - well - just barely acceptable as I would prefer they not invite themselves in either. 


We were just lollygagging around the yard, admiring the plants that survived the Texas Fried Summer and all of a sudden, my 2 cats go racing by and the squealing starts.  First, it's the mouse/rat, then me, and then Millie.  Sam is tracking, hunting, and attacking all at once - I just want the mouse to get free.  


Sam proceeds to the back door with the mouse/rat and tries to get inside the house.  I'm hanging on the door knob desperately trying to make sure he doesn't get in the house with the creature.  It's a stare-down.  He sets the creature down once but I move too soon and he picks it back up.  Finally Millie distracts him by starting to chase something (I don't even want to know what) and he carefully lays down the creature again and takes off.  I wrap the dead mouse/rat in a towel I left outside and carefully took the creature to the garbage bin in the garage (and yes, I said a lovely funeral prayer - I really did feel sorry for it).

Sam & Millie come back inside to get their treat.  Poor Sam got a warm washcloth pass by bath afterwards.  Now I'll spend the next few days watching Sam to make sure he is ok and doesn't get sick.  He's already been moaning (I'm convincing myself it is because I took away his trophy).  



In the mean time, we aren't going outside anytime soon.


No pictures because I was protecting the back door and didn't realize I was going to need a camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment