Thursday, February 09, 2012

This morning was very interesting.  First thing in the morning is feeding the cats,  checking Sam's glucose levels and giving him a shot.  

 Walking into the kitchen I find torn aluminum foil (I prefer the British way to pronounce it -al-ah-min-e-m) torn into pieces on the floor.  Evidently, I left a piece somewhere in the kitchen last night.

Then I see an airplane plant out of water.....again.  This plant may never make it to the dirt stage of its life.

When I look up, I see that some hearts have escaped their holder.  Wonder how that happened.  I guess someone (that would be Millie) decided they weren't food.


Things got mighty active in the kitchen last night.

Guess the kitties aren't liking the new feeding schedule.  Sam is on prescription food and he loves the canned stuff.  And I can't/won't leave it out all the time.  He inhales it.  Millie likes her non-prescription canned food .....  finally! 

I leave out a little of the prescription dry food but I'm trying to get them away from grazing all day.  But Sam hasn't gained enough weight back (He lost 10 lbs).  And Millie gained weight from the prescription dry food.

Sam is more aggressive or maybe because he's thinner, he can actually catch Millie now that she's gained weight.  Lot's of hissing and growling going on around here.  Oh.  Wait, that's when Sam realizes the 'special' treat was just to get him in place to stab his ear for blood!   LOL.   He does pretty darn good until he sees the glucose meter and shakes his head and the blood.  I need a HazMat suit for this. 

And I've discovered how vocal BOTH of them can be.  At first, Millie ignored all the antics.  Now she's joined it. 

So every single time I get a bowl, grab a spoon, or open the fridge door, Sam appears and he follows my every move just in case he might be getting some food.  And Millie joins in at meal time.  In fact, she now appears on the couch about 30 minutes prior to each and every bloodletting activity.  I think she really enjoys hearing Sam squeal and watching him restrained (well sort of) and trying to escape.

3 comments:

  1. When our younger girl, feline Carla, came home she and her new big sister, Kaline, didn't get along. Carla had a respiratory infection and had to have pills. Kaline seemed to love to watch and I think she respected and marveled the way Carla managed to always spit the pills out. When Kaline recently had an eye infection and had to have medication put in her eye, Carla did not watch. When she saw the medicine tube, she ran!

    The comment about Sam and a hazmat suit when you check his blood reminded me of giving Kaline worm medication as a kitten. I had a cat who took twice daily medication for 7 years and she was great about it. So I wasn't prepared for the kitten shaking her head and me wearing thick yellow liquid in my hair!

    Did Sam lose the weight from the diabetes?

    May the kitchen be less trashed tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam lost 10 lbs quickly. I could feel his bones in his tail and back one day - I knew he lost some weight but he's such a tall and long cat that it didn't look like he lost that much. Freaked me out when I found out he lost half his weight.

      That head shaking thing is hilarious.

      I have to take off my glasses to do the blood letting and I'm always afraid I'm going to get some in my eyes. I swear they can sling stuff half a mile!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete