Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Dad

My Dad passed early Thursday morning.  I got there as he left this earth.  While he wasn't doing well, he had been better lately and this came as a complete shock to me. 

He's been in a nursing home the past year and was miserable there.  Until September when they started putting him on so many drugs, he was up, used his walker and fended for himself.

He was one of many children and born and raised in Kentucky.  He fought in WWII and had a Purple Heart.  He was very proud of being a veteran.  He was in the Battle of Anzio and was shot by a German tank - the largest tank in the world at the time.  After being shot, he and other soldier managed to crawl back to some trees while the tank gunner was making sweeps of the field.   


He was also in the Air Force.  I was born at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, TX.  

He's being cremated so the grave side services will be held later.  He has a plot in one of the many military sections at Restland.  I had no idea that cremation took so long.

I have a white rose that he gave me years ago.  We're great gardeners in our family (well, most of us are).   Dad loved my kitties too.  And he got to see pictures of his first great-grandchild!  The kitties are letting me sleep a lot and Millie purrs me back to sleep.  I didn't realize how tired I was until he was gone. 



6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds like he's a wonderful man. He looked so young in that photo, too. Very handsome.

    I wish there were some magical words to make it all better. I really don't know what to say except that I'm sending loving thoughts and Bear (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin. It's been hard because it takes so long to be cremated. Who knew you had to get a permit! All the paper work is in so now it is a matter of scheduling it. It may not be done before 2013.

      Carla

      Delete
  2. Oh, Carla, my heart is breaking for you. I can relate to so much of what you wrote. You see, I lost my dad last year. He was 88 years old. Like your dad, mine was also in WWII (104th Infantry Timberwolves) and a Purple Heart recipient. And like your dad, mine also spent his last months in a nursing home. A place he never wanted to be.

    Your dad is so handsome. He looks so kind. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your dad isn't suffering anymore. That thought helped me get through many a bad time when my dad passed away.

    I'm here if you ever need to talk. Here's a post I did after my dad passed. Your dad and mine were truly from a great generation, the likes of which we may never see again.
    http://anenchantedcottage.blogspot.com/2011/08/to-my-dad.html

    Hugs to you,
    Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

    P.S. Thank you for visitng Baby and her Christmas tree antics today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. We may do a graveside service with the military playing Taps. It was so important to him. And we will keep a few ashes to place near his wife - she died about 9 years ago. And some with my sisters daughter that was stillborn - she's in the same cemetery. There will be a cement vault to hold the urn. It's big enough we can put in other stuff too if we want. It's in the military section.

      Carla

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your father was an honorable and admirable man. I'm sorry for your loss, but I guess now your father is in an able body and with his buddies and loved ones who passed before him. Try to be good to yourself and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bette Jo, Thanks for stopping by to visit. Carla

      Delete