Monday, September 27, 2010

DivaWow Clinic - Sat Sept 25 2010 - Elm Fork Shooting Range





I knew this was a female organization for women and outdoor sports such as bow & arrow, shotguns, rifles, handguns and fishing.  Their web sites show girly females, makeup, jewelry and all.  And boy was it ever a great day.  It rained like crazy until some time after lunch but what a lot of fun, support, and instruction!


Two of my sessions, fly casting and fly spinning ended up under the pavilion with the instructions demonstrating what they were talking about - the rods act as lightning rods and it was lightning outside pretty good.  In fact, they were watching the river levels and at a certain point, we would have to evacuate in 1 hour.  The shooting range flooded last weekend and apparently does so often during heavy rains - but that's good because otherwise the land would be too valuable to keep as a range.  I loved the fact that the older ladies (and I wasn't expecting it at all) were very feminine - nail polish, jewelry and makeup.  Their hands were so delicate - you could tell they wore hats or had used sun screen on their faces but some hands had plenty of sun exposure.  They were all great.

The bow and arrow session was conducted in the pouring down rain.  They had 2 shooting ranges, one with regular targets and the other had some 'animals' for target practice and some shooting  thing - I think they may be called blinds.  I did pretty darn good and hit the target every time.  It was fun.  My concern at not being able to move my elbow to prevent bruising was unfounded - my elbow won't turn the way that would cause bruising!

The shotgun session was in the downpour as well.  I was shotting a Beretta 20 and I did manage to hit one of the orange things!  There wasn't as much kick as I expected but it was hard to do soaking wet and my fingers and cheek were just downright slippery.


Lunch was extremely good.  Fried chicken, potato salad, green beans and a big cookie.  I'm not sure how they kept the chicken from being soggy with all the humidity but it was really good.  And about the only time the pavilion was really quiet.

The semi-automatic session was a blast!  All but 1 shot was in the circle and 1 hit the top of the  target - but as the instructor said, if that had been someone in the house, they'd be dead - which is what I would want anyway - assuming they got in the house anyway.  This requires ear protection (and much more than what I had) as well as eye protection.  But I think this is what I'm going to try next.  It was more fun than I expected.

I missed the rifle session.  oops

The next day my arms were soooo sore.   I didn't have a bruise from the shotgun either.  So I need to work on a different part of my arms now.   Gotta go find a class to take!

No comments:

Post a Comment