Saturday, September 07, 2013

Hazard and Good Stuff

See that little bump in the yard?  Well, there are many of them in the back yard.  How, you ask, do I find them?  I trip over them.  What are they?  They are the knees from Bald Cypress when they are around water.  Oh, you say, you didn't realize I lived near water.  I don't. 

The neighbors Bald Cypress drown and the roots come up for air in my yard.  So I'm about to put hazard warning signs on the outside of my fence.  I'm afraid I will trip and hurt my brand new knee so sometime, when it gets cooler (yes, I know that won't be until Christmas time if we are lucky) and cut them out again.  I'm also afraid they will reach the foundation as now, they are only a few feet from the house.  
The good news is that they cut down the 2 in between our houses about a year after I moved here.  These two are in their back yard by the alley.  And I can't help it, but they really look stupid now that they have been undercut.  They undercut the bottom half of the trees.


Now for some good news!  look at my tomato crop.  It's the best I've ever had and there are more green ones out there and lots of blooms.  Yea!!

3 comments:

  1. For Mother's Day My Hubby took me to Palestine,TX to ride the Texas State Railroad over to Rusk...
    anyway, while in Rusk at the State Park there we had 1 hour to kill for lunch....We walked around the lake and ate, that was my first experience with Cypress knees. weird looking little things.
    I can see how they'd be a little dangerous if you didn't know they were there.
    The grandbaby sure is growing.
    Hope you're staying cool...
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla - nice to have you stop by! I'm familiar with cypress knees. Not at my house but I live in east Texas so... Hate to hear they're coming up in your yard - not a good thing. My tomatoes are gone, so you enjoy yours! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like trees, but I don't like anything that's a "fall hazard" - do be careful!
    Enjoy your frsh tomatoes, there's nothing like 'em!...Glad you stopped by my Blog!

    ReplyDelete