Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes - Decatur TX

An hour drive for dinner was planned with visions of carnivore heaven in mind.  Woe is the restaurant that doesn't deliver!  And boy did Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes deliver.  I'll be back for sure.

We could smell Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes as we drove by,  slowly,  to capture that aroma to help our already hungry tastebuds burst with desire.



Just before going inside , I noticed the antique stores just down the street and made a mental note to return with sufficient time to stroll around the courthouse.  My friend - a non-Texan - had never seen a courthouse so I explained how small towns and town squares were often built around the courthouse.  In this case, the road around the courthouse was a 2 way street instead of one way streets (and that messed me up too!). Sometimes, I take things for granted.

Walking into the aroma heaven, we were seated quickly.  I was worried about going on a Friday night but forgot that we weren't in the big city with 1-2 hour waits on weekends!   Beer and wine were included on the menu - good thing as I was really ready for a Shiner Bock.  We were sitting at the table where Sweetie Pie could watch over us as we ate his kin.  As a carnivore, that didn't bother me a bit since I knew the meat wasn't going to waste.  Sweetie Pie is pretty darn cute for a steer!



The yeast rolls were excellent - especially with butter.   I would have liked to have had honey or molasses - then I would have been in hog heaven - or should that be roll heaven?  either way, it was wonderful.  Had to be careful not to eat too many rolls with real butter so I had room for meat & potato.

We both had Hot Bacon Vinaigrette on the salad.  It was the first time I'd tried the Hot Bacon Vinaigrette and it was delicious.  I absolutely love salad when someone else makes it.  Silly I know, but true.

I had the filet mignon and my friend had the small ribeye steak.  Neither one of us needed to use any additional seasonings.  They were grilled just right (mine was medium and ohhh sooo good).

The potatoes were pretty darn good too!  Best I've had in a long time.  They are cooked in rosin so you can't eat the peel or remove the wrapper.  I love to eat potato peels from baked potatoes but I didn't miss it this time because it was perfect.   They serve a scoop of butter (yes it appeared to be a large ice scoop) but before you squeal in delight - they add salt, pepper and sour cream to the butter.  ummmm  goood!  I love extra salt and butter on my baked potatoes but this didn't need anything else to melt in my mouth.

The portions were just right.  I wasn't too stuffed to drive back to the Dallas area but next time, I'm going to have to try a dessert.  If the desserts are like their Babe's Chicken House desserts - they are scrumptious!

This is clearly a family restaurant and there were some young un's present but they were well behaved.  The little guy that sat at a nearby table was fascinated with the juke box lights.  Instead of the Hokey Pokey that the wait staff dance to at Babe's Chicken House, the wait staff danced a country western line dance.  I wonder why at both restaurants that it is only the female wait staff and kids that are brave enough to dance in public?

I'll be back but I will have to prepare in advance and not eat all day so I can stuff myself and then leave plenty of time to recover in order to drive back in a timely fashion.   Maybe a walk around the courthouse would be a good digestive recovery mechanism?

No comments:

Post a Comment