Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Geneology Fun & Games

Hot Dog! I just returned from getting copies of my great grandparent's death certificates.  They are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery in Fort Worth TX.  Oswald was buried nearby.  We have other relatives on my mothers father's side buried there as well.  We visited the cemetery last summer and took some pictures of headstones but I would still like to go back. 

Mom returned from her homework assignment yesterday with her mom's birth certificate.  Grandma Minnie was born in Grayson County, died in Denison TX and was buried in Cimarron KS.  Grandma Minnie and Grandpa Carl (born in Lamasco TX and buried in Cimarron KS) were too young to get married in Texas so they crossed the state line and got married in Choctaw County OK.  He was 17 and she was 16 at the time.  We have their marriage license.

So now we have birth, marriage and death certificates of my maternal grandparents.  I'm not sure we're going to find birth or marriage certificates for my great grandparents though. 

Mom should be getting her birth certificate any day now.  She was born in Cimarron KS and now lives in Denison TX.  I found her marriage license & certificate when cleaning out some of my dad's files.

I foresee some more cemetery visits in my future.  While I am alive!!!  I don't think cemeteries would like a visiting casket although I guess I could still visit cemeteries and just haunt them!  That would be fun.

I'm fortunate to be a Native Texan.  Born in Fort Worth TX - that's where the West begins in case you didn't know.  Lot's of Native Texan relatives too.  I used to love listening to all the old stories my grandparents would tell.  So searching for their history is fun.  And I'm grateful to my great uncle & his wife who got interested in geneology a long time and ago and prepared a book with family lines and pictures for my each of my grandmother's siblings.  I will start posting some pictures when I get my photo scanner hooked up.  It's pretty cool - you can put several pictures on it to scan and it will scan each picture individually!

No comments:

Post a Comment