Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Is that Fall that I smell?

Ahhhh.  It feels great outside.  This morning the cats stayed out for a bit (reminder: they are ONLY allowed outside when I am there to supervise) while I chopped down the sunflower tree.  But of course, there wasn't a single paper sack (the recycle kind that we must use) to be seen anywhere.  So we grudgingly came inside so I could go to the store and buy some bags.


Some plants are burned beyond belief but others are doing great.  This rose (on the left) was given to me by my dad.  At least it is growing at the bottom and not completely dead.  It is the only hybrid rose that I have in my yard.



This rose (to the right) is a Knockout rose in yellow.  No aroma but a steady bloomer. 


Then there is the tomato plant....usually I get 1 or 2 tomatoes a year.  It was so hot this summer that after I got my crop of 2 tomatoes (1st ever from the upside-down planter), I didn't pull the plant.  And lo and behold... look hard and you can see a 2nd crop.  Wow what a year!
Well, I did say you had to look hard!
Here's my owl that protects my back yard.  That is a Texas Bird of Paradise - it's a tree not a bush.  Or it is supposed to be a tree.  I had one that cracked due to all the snow we had this winter.  It bent completely over twice and the 3rd hard snow and ice broke the trunk.  It was about 10 feet tall and the trunk was only about 2 inches.  So I am trying again!  So far, this acts more like a bush than a shrub but we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment