Saturday, January 21, 2012

My, Haven't Things Changed?

I"m allergic to real evergreen trees so we had to get the aluminum tree
 It's fun to go through old photos and listen or read about the olden times.  I'm sure the young ones today are appalled that we grew up without iPhones and iPads and iPods and other such stuff (hey, I can't live without all my iP's either but I remember the olden days).
My grandmother's Aunt, grandmother Minnie, me (no iPhone), Mom




I'm sure they all have on hose and heels.  My grandmother wore dresses, hose and heels until she died.  We tried to get her to wear slacks a few times but I think she would wear them once just to keep us quiet.  
Mom, her Mom, her sister Lyda, brother Louis, her Dad, her brother Marvin
I still laugh every time hear the term 'olden days'.  Many years I was telling my young niece about how we went for drives on Sunday afternoon as a family, eating popcorn and watching tv Saturday night and waiting for H-A-double R-I-gan to start and Bonanza to end because my grandma and grandpa would call and we would get to talk with them.  She replied 'but that was in the olden days'.  Well, at least she still likes family history so she'll get a bunch of stuff one of these days.  Along with her brother and cousin who also like the olden days.

Mom in high school - I'm assuming it was a play or for Halloween!
Mom and I recently joined DAR - Daughters of the American Revolution thanks to some family historians.  It seems some of my ancestors enjoyed the history searches too.  Henry Hart is our ancestor from the American Revolution.  There are some more but that will require some more research, lots of paperwork and money and fun. 

Dad's parents
 Thanks to a new to me blog with a Vintage Twist, I may start a new blog dedicated to family history and research. It's always nice to see someone else with an interest in history.  Thanks Amy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh YES!!! Times sure have changed, haven't they? I love your story - and the pics. They remind me so much of those of my own family. Women dressed so much differently than those of our current time. Dresses, high heels..dinner on the table promptly by six PM...and life was just simple then.

    Sweet post. I so enjoyed reading it to my husband, too.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete