Saturday, March 06, 2010

Job hunting sucks. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised when I didn't the the last job. The 1st interview was with a very nice professional young woman from Chicago. She got as excited about the work as I did - LOL - I really do get excited about work. Anyway, I made it through that phase and was ready to meet with the actual hiring manager.

Of course, being one-armed with a sling meant that my suit jacket was over the left arm. Hard to carry a purse, portfolio and umbrella in the rain but lets just say that after the umbrella flew away and my jacket flew off (not all the way since my right arm was in the sleeve) and the wind blew my hair all over the place, I made it through the 1st set of doors but couldn't get the 2nd set of doors open. No one, including the receptionist offered to help even though it was pretty clear I was handicapped at that point. And no button to push to open the doors. Oh well, I finally made it into the building, cleaned myself up and wasn't late.

So I meet the hiring manager who is my age or older. She didn't want to talk business since the previous woman 'interrogated' me but wanted to make sure I could work with the team. I tried to keep the conversation professional while listening to her discuss her dislike of SAP, the current status of not being able to hire, the frustration of having 7 positions, 3 filled with youngsters, 1 contract person she was going to lose, the 1 open position (contract to hire) and the other empty roles that might remain empty. We got along just fine. Then she told me the last person was technically very good but didn't get along with the rest of the team. So they let her go (she was a contractor and was told there was no more work - HA - I know the person but I didn't say anything). Then she tells me the youngsters are bright but hard to work with since they are in the early stages of their careers.

I know I get along with everyone, including youngsters so it was frustrating to know that this interview was a farce. Working with youngsters can really help their careers especially when the more mature person isn't no longer interested in climbing the ladder. Why waste my time? Then of course, she mentions that she prefers more mature people to work with. So why didn't she set up team interviews? That's pretty commom. But waste my time?? and insult me too?? I was still excited about the job when I left even though I knew there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd get the job.

urrggggg. I hate job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment