Saturday, April 24, 2010

Marshall Grains in Grapevine

Friday I trekked out to Marshall Grains in Grapevine - about 45 minutes from here.  Traffic wasn't bad at all but the building sits at the edge of 2 highways and it is hard to spot.  Finally figured out where the entrance was located - going fast means you miss the entrance!

What a wonderful store.  They had so many plants.  Several that I drooled over (Eve's Necklace, Fringe, Bird of Paradise).  Got some plants but no trees.

My Bird of Paradise is slow to leaf out so I wasn't sure if it made it through the winter or not - it wasn't the cold I was worried about since that wasn't much of a problem but all the snow!  It is doing fine and I've since discovered that it grows well even further north.  I guess I just forget it is slow to leaf in the spring.   I sure do like it.  Next yard, I'll plan the ornamental trees a little better.

Itching to plant some plants near the fence but I'm waiting until the fence is stained and sealed.   I like the fence and the work they did installing new pickets between the old pickets of the shadowbox fence.  I sure hope it helps with the overwatering from next door.  I know water will still come in as their soil is so drenched but at least the water coming through the fence will stop.  Hopefully, the mosquitos will leave as well - I found some mosquito pellets that I will sprinkle on top of the mulch after they stain and seal the fence.


Allen Recycle Day

Today was the Allen recycle and trash day.  The lines were longer this year but they went fast.  I went to both sites in less than 45 minutes.  Lots of volunteers and city workers scattered throughout the lines so that made it nice.  There were lots of really nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment